The following policy on cookies is predisposed by the Vatican Apostolic Library to describe the types of cookies used on the site www.vaticanlibrary.va, including any extension of that domain (the "Site") and on its platform, in order to describe the reasons and the conditions of use of the same. The lack of sending some cookies to the user´s device prevents the optimal consultation of the Site or the use of Services offered on it.
WHAT ARE COOKIES
Cookies are text files used to perform automatic authentication, sessions tracking and storage of specific information about users accessing the server of the Vatican Apostolic Library. Specifically, then, they are strings of small size text which are sent from the server of the Vatican Apostolic Library to the web client (usually a browser) of the user and then sent back by the client to the server (without change) whenever the user accesses the same portion of the same web domain. A cookie is a small file that requires the user's permission to be stored on the hard disk of the latter´s computer. Once consent is given in the manner set out below, the file is added and the cookie helps analyze user´s web traffic, allowing to know when the user visits a particular website. Thus the web application can adapt its operations to the needs and/or tastes of the user, gathering and remembering information about the user´s preferences.
TYPES OF COOKIES, NATURE AND SCOPE OF DATA COLLECTED
The Vatican Library uses the following types of cookies:
- Technical Cookies: are those necessary to operate the Site and to supply the services offered to the user.
- Cookies so-called "analytics": those that fall under the category of macro technical cookies, are used by the Vatican Apostolic Library to statistically analyze accesses and/or visits to the site and installed exclusively for statistical purposes and/or collect information in aggregate form. Currently in use on the site is the cookie "Google Analytics" used for the purposes described above.
- Session cookies: these technical cookies are sent by the Vatican Apostolic Library´s servers to the user's terminal and occasionally from other sites to track functionality of its Site as part of a particular session. These cookies are usually stored on the user's browser for the duration of the session. These cookies expire when the browser is closed.
- Persistent cookies: these are permanent cookies that continue to operate even after the browser is closed, allowing for an easier and faster access to the Site.
- Functional cookies: they allow the site to remember the choices made by the user (user name, language, country) providing more personalized and better functionality.
- Performance cookies: these cookies collect and analyze information on the use of the site by visitors (page views, number of visits, time spent on the website, etc.) to provide the user a better browsing experience. These cookies do not collect information that allows user´s identification. All data collected by these cookies are aggregated and, therefore, anonymous and used only to improve the operation of the Site.
- Targeting/advertising cookies: they are installed in order to create a profile of the user who visits the site based on its behavior during navigation. They can also be used by third parties, affiliated to the Vatican Apostolic Library, to allow the user to view, on the latter´s sites, banner ads regarding the latest services displayed on the Site. As the user navigates within the Site, these cookies are also used to show the services that may be of interest and/or services similar to those previously displayed based on browsing history. The use of these cookies do not normally involve the processing of personal data, but it can allow the connection to the user´s computer or other devices, and track the data stored: these cookies connect to the browser installed on the user´s computer or on other devices used while browsing the site in order to provide targeted advertising.
- Own cookies: these are the cookies installed directly by the Vatican Apostolic Library on the user´s device in order to operate the site efficiently and track visitors´ patterns of behavior.
- Third-party cookies: those cookies are installed by other companies affiliated to the Vatican Apostolic Library on the Site. In its browser, the Site can accommodate announcements, ads, such as banner ads of other companies, which in turn install cookies. They can be used exclusively to store the data that the user has entered, in some circumstances, within one or more websites.
The Vatican Apostolic Library utilizes the following third-party cookies:
- the payment system Donatio, which allows to make donations. This cookie is entirely managed by the Vatican Internet Office.
- the online payment system EPay, which allows to purchase online. This cookie is entirely managed by the Vatican Internet Office.
- the widget Twitter, entirely controlled and directed by Twitter.