The Library is open to:
- researchers and scholars with appropriate qualifications and/or relevant scientific publications;
- teachers and researchers at Universities and other institutes of Higher Education;
- graduate students (laureati) who are pursuing research for a doctoral dissertation;
- in exceptional cases, undergraduate students who can demonstrate that they need to consult material which is available only at the Vatican Library.
- it is not open to High School students, nor, as a rule, to undergraduate University students.
The Reader's Ticket
The reader's pass allows access to the Library.
The annual pass is valid from the day it is issued until the following annual closing of the Library. The short-term pass is valid for a fixed number of days, as determined by the Admissions Office.
The reader's pass allows consultation of printed books only; specific authorization is needed for the consultation of manuscripts. The pass is strictly personal and non-transferable; it replaces the reader's identification document while he or she is in the Library.
By accepting the reader's pass and signing the form indicating their personal details in the Admissions Office, readers agree to observe the Library's Rules and Regulations.
In case of loss or theft, readers are required to advise the Library's Admissions Office as soon as possible, and to present a copy of the report filed with the competent authorities.
Special rules apply for access to the Numismatic Department.
All readers applying for their first reader's pass must produce the following:
- a valid identification document, which will be left at the Police Office at the Sant'Anna entrance to the Vatican City State;
- a reference letter or a valid document proving appropriate academic qualifications;
- for students, a Letter of Surety, printed on institutional letterhead and signed by their dissertation supervisor.
- PERSON IN CHARGE Dr Federica Orlando: contact by email
- Opening hours: Monday to Friday: 8:45 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.; Tuesday and Thursday: 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Telephone: +39/06698.79403
- Fax: +39/06698.84795